Filed under: Events in Middle East
Where: Jaffa, Israel/Palestine. 76 Yeffet St, corner of Erlich
When: Tuesday, 6.1.09, 18:00
Who: Sadaka-Reut Youth Movement and Jaffa list
Where: Columbus Ohio
Who: Women in Black Vigils
When: will be held every Friday until the violence is stopped. The vigil for January 9th at 6:00 PM at the corner of W. Lane Ave and Olentangy River Road (near Ohio State University Campus).
Contact: Connie at 614-531-4146 or firstname.lastname@example.org All are welcome.
Filed under: Calls for action
Updated Action Alert on Gaza:
We Need “Sustained, Determined Political Action”December 29, 2008
As of this writing, a third consecutive day of Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip have killed an estimated 315 Palestinians and injured more than 1,400. According to the UN, at least 51 of the victims were civilians and 8 were children. Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak has vowed ominously “a war to the bitter end.”
Israel’s attacks on the Gaza Strip are being carried out with F16 fighter jets, Apache helicopters, and naval gunboats all given to Israel by the United States with our tax dollars.
From 2001-2006, the United States transferred to Israel more than $200 million worth of spare parts to fly its fleet of F16’s and more than $100 million worth of helicopter spare parts for its fleet of Apaches. In July 2008, the United States gave Israel 186 million gallons of JP-8 aviation jet fuel and signed a contract to transfer an addition $1.9 billion worth of littoral combat ships to the Israeli navy. Last year, the United States signed a $1.3 billion contract with Raytheon to transfer to Israel thousands of TOW, Hellfire, and “bunker buster” missiles.
Make no mistake about it-Israel’s war on the Gaza Strip would not be possible without the jets, helicopters, ships, missiles, and fuel provided by the United States.
Ali Abunimah, of The Electronic Intifada, wrote, “Palestinians everywhere are asking for solidarity, real solidarity, in the form of sustained, determined political action.” In light of our country’s enabling role in Israel’s war on the Gaza Strip, it is the least we can do. Here’s how:
1. Attend a protest or vigil. We’ve compiled a list of more than 60 emergency protests taking place in 25 states and the District of Columbia, many of which are taking place today or tomorrow. Find one near you and bring as many people to it as you can. If you know of a protest that isn’t listed on our website, please send us all the logistical details and contact information by clicking here. More events are being posted all the time-check back frequently for the latest updates.
2. Contact the White House, the State Department, your Representative and Senators, and the Obama Transition Team to protest Israel’s war on Gaza and demand an immediate cease-fire.
White House: 202-456-1111 or email@example.com
State Department: 202-647-6575 or send an email by clicking here
Congress: 202-224-3121 or find contact info by clicking here
Obama Transition Team: send an email by clicking here
3. Make your voice heard in the media. Contact your local media by phoning into a talk show or writing a letter to the editor. To find contact info for your local media, click here.
4. Tell President-Elect Barack Obama that ” We Need a Change in Israel/Palestine Policy.” Join more than 200 organizations in 38 states plus Washington, DC and abroad and thousands of individuals by endorsing this letter which will be published as a full-page ad on Inauguration Day. Let all your friends know by copying and pasting the graphic below into your email signature, blog, or website and by joining our Facebook group.
5. Sign up to organize people in your community to end U.S. military aid to Israel. We’ll send you an organizing packet complete with our brand new postcards featuring the icon below. If we’re going to change U.S. policy, we’ve got to go beyond agreeing among ourselves and educate and organize others as well. Sign up today and we’ll send you a package tomorrow by clicking here.
6. Join us in Washington, DC for Inauguration Day on January 20. Upwards of 4 million people are expected in Washington, DC for President-Elect Obama’s inauguration. This is a perfect time for us to reach out to and educate our fellow citizens about U.S. policy toward Palestine/Israel. If you plan to be in Washington for the inauguration and would like to help us distribute information and get signatures on postcards calling for a cut off of arms transfers to Israel, please click here.
7. Join us again in Washington, DC for a Grassroots Advocacy Training and Lobby Day on February 1-2. Interfaith Peace-Builders and the US Campaign are organizing this exciting two-day event, featuring interactive, skills-building workshops and the chance to meet with your Representative and Senators to discuss U.S. policy toward Israel/Palestine. Spaces are filling up fast. For more details, and to register, please click here.
8. Forward this email to everyone you know and ask them to take action.
Thank you for doing all you can during this tragic time.
US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation
Filed under: Uncategorized
Where: Powell & Market St
When: Friday, January 2nd @ 2:30pm
Title: DEMONSTRATE Against The Israeli War Machine
Who: Organized by activists in the Bay Area Arab Community, Allies and Supporters of Palestine.
Co-Sponsors: AROC, Al-Awda, AMP, GUPS, SJP, NCA, FPA, ANSWER, ISM,ISO, QUIT, AAUMC, Women in Black, International Action Center
Info: For more information or to add your organization as a co-sponsor contact: GazaAction@gmail.com
Filed under: Events in North America
Where: Corner of Bristol & Anton, Costa Mesa (South Coast Plaza entrance)When: Friday 2nd January 2009 @ 5:00 PM
Title: THE SITUATION OF PEOPLE IN THE GAZA STRIP DEMANDS THAT WE TAKE ACTION AGAIN!
Show your outrage and demand:
STOP THE ‘ISRAELI’ BOMBING OF GAZA!
STOP THE COWARDLY MASSACRES!
STOP THE BOMBING OF GAZA WITH AMERICAN MISSILES AND PLANES!
END THE 2-YEAR SIEGE OF GAZA NOW!
NO RETURN = NO JUSTICE = NO PEACE!
1 million out of 1.5 million Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are refugees!
Bring your Palestinian Flags and Signs, and tell your Friends and Neighbors
Who: Organized by Orange County Peace Coalition and KPFK Support Group
Info: For more information contact Chuck-714 956-5037
Filed under: Calls for action
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2
To the Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada
Dear Prime Minister Harper,
I am writing to express my shock and dismay at the recent illegal Israeli attacks on the Palestinian city of Gaza. More than 400 Palestinians have been helplessly killed by Israel’s aerial bombardments. The Israeli bombers have targeted civilian buildings and installations, including police stations, a university, refugee camps and the port of Gaza City, not to mention numerous houses, residential and office buildings.
These shocking Israeli assaults follow a cruel, year-and-a-half-long siege and blockade of Gaza by Israel, conditions that have crippled the Gazan economy and brought starvation and malnourishment. The Israeli blockade has brought delivery of food, fuel, medical supplies and other necessities to a halt, even as UN storage depots in Gaza are now empty. Israel continues to bar UN and medical personnel, as well as journalists, from entering the city.
The Israeli attacks are war crimes, and are directly in contravention of international humanitarian law and principles of human rights. Yet Western governments, including Canada’s, have been silent in the face of these atrocities. This must change immediately.
Mr. Harper, on Friday, December 19, 2008, you represented Canada in the earth-turning ceremony for the foundation of the new Canadian Museum of Human Rights in Winnipeg. If principles of human rights are to extend to everyone, including Palestinians, and if you truly seek to champion human rights in Canada and around the world, then you and your Government must act now to prevent the further shedding of Palestinian blood.
We, as citizens of Canada who desire our country to stand for the human rights of people here and around the world, hereby call upon your Government to condemn the Israeli attacks upon Gaza and to use all of its influence at the United Nations and other international organizations to which it is signatory to force Israel to cease and desist from all further attacks against the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
We also call upon your Government to suspend its relations with Israel, including all nation-to-nation trade agreements, pacts, treaties, and so forth.
Further, we call upon your Government to declare sanctions against Israel, to divest itself from all investments in Israeli companies, and to boycott all Israeli goods and services until a lasting peace agreement acceptable to the Palestinian people is reached.
Filed under: Events in North America
Where: Corner of St. Catherine and McGill College, in front of Indogo Library, McGill Metro
When: Friday, at 12″:00
Who: Organized by PAJU (Palestinians and Jews United) and CAIA (Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid)
Info: For more information see http://www.pajumontreal.org